Sunday, June 16, 2013

MG Mk-II Walkthrough: Intro


After a month long trip to Singapore, I'm back and writing some posts again. As my first summer project, I've decided to write a walkthrough that documents my modeling process from start to finish. Although others have done this sort of thing before, I think that seeing how different modelers work can be very beneficial to those just getting into Gunpla. For this walkthrough, I will be building and painting the MG Mk-II Titans Ver 2.0. Despite being one of the first kits to receive the 2.0 treatment, the Mk-II is a very solid kit with some awesome articulation. I'm looking forward to building this kit and I'm excited to document my progress. My next post will cover the very first steps: tools, denubbing, and construction in general. Thanks for reading, I hope to make these tutorials very informative!

Although I was unable to paint or write any posts while I was away, I did talk to some very knowledgeable modelers and pick up a few supplies. For anyone interested, read on for details!

Any Gunpla enthusiast who has been to, or lived in Singapore, is likely familiar with Hobby Art Gallery and The M Workshop, both located inside Sunshine Plaza. It's possible to find just about any Gundam model ever released when you take a trip down there. In addition to their crazy selection of Gunpla and supplies, Hobby Art Gallery has a huge display case which showcases plenty of awesome works, including those of Toymaker! I got to take a very close look at Toymaker's custom The-O aka Odin, as well as his tri-Sinanju group build, and it's amazing to me that people can scratch build and use pla-plate to that degree. Unfortunately I couldn't take any pictures of the store, kind of a bummer since I was hoping to post them here, but oh well. I did manage to pick up a bottle of this Tamiya Panel Line Accent. It seems like it's quite difficult to get in the states, which is unfortunate, because I don't think I will ever want to mix my own panel wash again. It's the perfect consistency and very easy to use. If anyone has access to this stuff, I would recommend grabbing a bottle.



I also talked to Bernard Cher over at The M Workshop. He had some really great advice on weathering. He told me that weathering is all about your knowledge of real life weathered vehicles and buildings. If you don't study what a weathered vehicle looks like, then your weathering will not look natural. He told me that he once had a student bring him a tank that looked like it had leprosy; the paint chipping was done in a completely unnatural manner because the student had not studied pictures of real life weathering. It was a very interesting conversation, and I think I'll be trying a weathered build in the near future. Once again, thanks for reading, and stay tuned for the next post in my tutorial series! I leave you with a picture of the Singapore skyline taken from the top of the Marina Bay Sands.


To Part 1: Assembly


No comments:

Post a Comment